IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> KAV 2011 slows down Xnews, Slow downloading of binaries
craigtillerman
post 5.07.2010 00:59
Post #1

Group: Members

I'm trying out KAV 2011 and I can't figure out how to stop it from slowing down my Xnews downloads. I've added Xnews as a trusted application and checked all 4 options, do not: scan opened files, monitor app activity, monitor child, scan network activity. I think it might be that KAV is scanning the file with each article I am downloading.

Ex: each 15MB .rar file in made by combining 70 articles, I think KAV is scanning after each article and before Xnews will continue to the next acrticle. In the Xnews "download to folder" the .rar file grows by a few bytes 70 times until it is the full 15MB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there a way to stop it from monitoring that folder? If that's even the problem. Does anyone else have any ideas? I noticed similar problems people posted back in 2007, any of you guys using Xnews still and KAV 2011? I don't need KAV to scan anything related to Xnews and I don't want to stop using Xnews. TIA Craig
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 5.07.2010 03:05
Post #2

Are You Kidding?

Group: Moderators

Welcome. "Do not scan network traffic" should cover it. Please check to see that your settings are applied, then reboot for good measure.

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
craigtillerman
post 6.07.2010 10:10
Post #3

QUOTE(richbuff @ 4.07.2010 18:05) *
Welcome. "Do not scan network traffic" should cover it. Please check to see that your settings are applied, then reboot for good measure.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm still having the problem.

I have the "Do not scan network traffic" checked in the "Exclusions for application" window. I also have the Xnews download to folder checked in the "Exclusion rules" tab in the "Trusted zone" window, the rule reads "Object will not be scanned if the following are met: | Object: C:\Doc...\Xnewsfolder\ | Protection components: any"

If I shut KAS off while downloading with Xnews my download speed shoots right back up (about 15 sec. to reconnect to servers).

I have rebooted too.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This post has been edited by craigtillerman: 6.07.2010 10:12

+Quote Post
dawgg
post 6.07.2010 13:55
Post #4

Forum Elite

GrabIt is working fine on my system with the exclusion (Trusted Application) rule for c:\program files\grabit\grabit.exe, all check-boxes ticked.

Check Xnews does not run any other applications when downloading. Sometimes applications run other exes to help it run. The other exe may need to be added to exclusions.

+Quote Post
craigtillerman
post 8.07.2010 11:36
Post #5

QUOTE(dawgg @ 6.07.2010 04:55) *
GrabIt is working fine on my system with the exclusion (Trusted Application) rule for c:\program files\grabit\grabit.exe, all check-boxes ticked.

Check Xnews does not run any other applications when downloading. Sometimes applications run other exes to help it run. The other exe may need to be added to exclusions.

Thanks for the idea, I checked and it was only running the .exe file as a program/process.
I also changed servers/ports to ssl and no difference. Tried running traffic through a VPN, no change.
Changed .exe and download to folder to same drive, no change.

Only 4 days left in trial, I guess I should have asked earlier. Or not be stuck on a program that hasn't been updated in 8 years.

I'l try back for the next few days, but I'm fairly sure that this effects only me and 5 other people in the world, and can be easily remedied by changing AV, possibly even only versions, or newsgroup reader. Thanks again

+Quote Post
dawgg
post 8.07.2010 16:17
Post #6

Forum Elite

You can add a packet rule to allow the port... Open Settings - Firewall - Settings - Packet Rules...
Add a new rule...
Action: Allow
Name: Xnews
Protocol: [select the protocol Xnews uses]
Direction: Inbound/Outbound
Local Port: [enter the port Xnews is using]
Address: Any Address
Click OK

Move it to the top of the list by selecting it and clicking Move Up (at the top).
Click all the OKs and restart your computer.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25.10.2014 13:27