Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Idle Scan settings, Scope, security level
Kenshi90
post 8.06.2010 17:27
Post #1

Kaspersky Fan I

Group: Members

Hello everybody, my question is: how does Idle Scan work, exactly? Does it use Full Scan scope and security level, or does it have its own settings, like the Startup Objects Scan?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lucian Bara
post 8.06.2010 18:46
Post #2

Are You Kidding?

Group: Gold beta testers

QUOTE(Kenshi90 @ 8.06.2010 16:27) *
Hello everybody, my question is: how does Idle Scan work, exactly? Does it use Full Scan scope and security level, or does it have its own settings, like the Startup Objects Scan?

hello
in kis, settings there's a link at the bottom called "Help", it lists what you want to know. Let me quote that for you:

The Idle Scan Settings section allows you to adjust the settings for running application database update tasks when you do not use your computer.

Perform idle scan

This box enables / disables the Idle Scan mode. In this mode, Kaspersky Internet Security only runs scan (applied to the system memory, system partition, and startup objects) and update (applied to the application databases and program modules) tasks if the computer is locked, or the screensaver is active.

If the box is checked, in Idle Scan mode, Kaspersky Internet Security only runs updates of application databases and program modules when the automatic update run mode is enabled. Kaspersky Internet Security only runs updates if the application databases are out of date. Immediately after update, Kaspersky Internet Security runs the scan task applied to the startup objects, system memory, and system partition. If you resume the computer usage, Kaspersky Internet Security pauses the update process or computer scan.

Next time the computer remains idle, Kaspersky Internet Security restarts the update. Kaspersky Internet Security remembers the stage at which the scan task has been paused, and resumes the scan process from that stage.

If the computer is battery-powered, Kaspersky Internet Security does not run any scan or update tasks when the computer is idle.

If the box is unchecked, the Idle Scan mode is disabled.

This box is unchecked by default.

+Quote Post
Kenshi90
post 8.06.2010 19:09
Post #3

Kaspersky Fan I

Thank you very much, Lucian Bara, but my question was: if I set, for example, Full Scan's level on "High", will Idle Scan use the same level? Or does it have some hidden settings on its own, like the Startup Objects Scan?

Sorry for the difficult question, I hope I made myself clear smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dawgg
post 8.06.2010 21:18
Post #4

Forum Elite

Group: Moderators

Idle scan is only to reduce the load of Kaspersky's scans - makes the scan use less resource impact if you're using the computer - at the cost of making the duration of the scan increase.

I think you may be referring to "Regular scans for active threats" rather than "Idle scan". The "Regular scans" has pre-set (hidden) settings of scan depth and folders to scan.

+Quote Post
Kenshi90
post 11.06.2010 01:48
Post #5

Kaspersky Fan I

Thanks dawgg, I've understood. Just one more question: does anybody know why this "Regular Scan" is way slower than the "Critical Areas Scan"? It takes twice as long, but it scans the same number of objects, more or less: any reason why?

Regards

This post has been edited by Kenshi90: 11.06.2010 01:52

--------------------

+Quote Post
dawgg
post 11.06.2010 02:01
Post #6

Forum Elite

Group: Moderators

Regular scan runs using less system resource so takes longer. This is to prevent the user from noticing any slowdowns during the scan.
Critical scans are manually started, so the user is more willing to experience slowdowns during the scan.

+Quote Post
Kenshi90
post 11.06.2010 02:07
Post #7

Kaspersky Fan I

bt.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic