IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Disabling Windows firewall, Why not just switch it off?
Wilf21
post 2.06.2006 18:39
Post #1

Advanced Member IV

Group: Members

I've noticed in a number of posts the suggestion that the Windows firewall be disabled by going into services, stopping the service and then disabling it. What's wrong with just going into Control Panel\Windows Firewall and selecting "Off"? That's what I did when I installed KIS and I don't think I have any problems as result (although of course I might have without knowing it).

Wilf
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lucian Bara
post 2.06.2006 18:43
Post #2

Are You Kidding?

Group: Gold beta testers

Well this will disable the firewall but not the service (which is still started as usual). tHe service is combined wth the ics function of windows so if you use internet connection service it's not recommended that you disable the service.

+Quote Post
Wilf21
post 2.06.2006 19:08
Post #3

Advanced Member IV

QUOTE(lucianbara @ 2.06.2006 15:43)
Well this will disable the firewall but not the service (which is still started as usual). tHe service is combined wth the ics function of windows so if you use internet connection service it's not recommended that you disable the service.

Well, i'm not using ICS, but on the other hand, if I'm not having apparent problems is there any advantage in my disabling the service?

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 2.06.2006 19:10
Post #4

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

QUOTE(Wilf21 @ 2.06.2006 17:08)
Well, i'm not using ICS, but on the other hand, if I'm not having apparent problems is there any advantage in my disabling the service?

Wilf, why have the service still running when you don't use it? Also it may (have for me) reenable it self.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spotteddog
post 2.06.2006 19:12
Post #5

Advanced Member I

Now I'm confused. I installed KIS 6. I thought I was to stop and disable the Windows firewall through the services, in order to prevent conflicts with KIS's firewall.
Are you saying I should NOT disable the Windows firewall, but I should just stop it through the control panel? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Wilf21
post 2.06.2006 19:13
Post #6

Advanced Member IV

QUOTE(Don Pelotas @ 2.06.2006 16:10)
Wilf, why have the service still running when you don't use it? Also it may (have for me) reenable it self.

Well, it's habit in a way ... ZAAV used to switch the windows firewall off automatically and it would come back automatically if ZA failed to load for some reason. But, then, as KIS doesn't automatically do this, you're right and I might as well disable the service, I guess.

Wilf

+Quote Post
FadeToBlack
post 2.06.2006 19:14
Post #7

Advanced Member V

You shouldn't be amazed man. I have it disabled the hard way, but it's not necessary to disable it trough the registry. You can disable it from Control Panel, but disable both Windows Firewall from the first tab and from the last untick the Local Area Connection (from the Windows Firewall Control Panel).

--------------------
Regards,
Michael

I'm the voodoo child...I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?

+Quote Post
danieleb
post 2.06.2006 19:21
Post #8

Advanced Member I

Well, now I'm confused to. I thought disabling the windows firewall during installation of KIS was enough, are you saying that it isn't?

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 2.06.2006 19:29
Post #9

Global Moderator

QUOTE(danieleb @ 2.06.2006 17:21)
Well, now I'm confused to. I thought disabling the windows firewall during installation of KIS was enough, are you saying that it isn't?

Don't be too confused, yes, sometimes, thats why i have made it a habit to disable it completely via services, but this has always been like this me and my XP, maybe you will see different results (more stable) than i have.

This btw is with or without Kav/Kis installed. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
danieleb
post 2.06.2006 19:44
Post #10

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(Don Pelotas @ 2.06.2006 17:29)
Don't be too confused, yes, sometimes, thats why i have made it a habit to disable it completely via services, but this has always been like this me and my XP, maybe you will see different results (more stable) than i have.

This btw is with or without Kav/Kis installed. smile.gif

Ok, while I have not been having problems so far I think I will try doing what you do, Don P, and disable it completely.

+Quote Post
Wilf21
post 2.06.2006 19:50
Post #11

Advanced Member IV

QUOTE(danieleb @ 2.06.2006 16:44)
Ok, while I have not been having problems so far I think I will try doing what you do, Don P, and disable it completely.

Me too.

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 2.06.2006 19:52
Post #12

Global Moderator

IMO, the best way if you do not use ICS.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FadeToBlack
post 2.06.2006 22:12
Post #13

Advanced Member V

I have now 13 non-my user processes running and 2 of those are Outpost and KAV 6. It's nice to see my computer running without some unnecessary services.

--------------------
Regards,
Michael

I'm the voodoo child...I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23.10.2014 15:42