Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> KAV causing chkdsk errors
Frode
post 26.05.2006 21:58
Post #1

Group: Members

I've recently trialing a few different programs, including KAV6 and Rollback Rx. I ended up with a very annoying error that caused imaging software to fail at analyzing partition, effectively cutting off my ability to update my backup. I assumed this was due to Rollback Rx, since it by its nature does nifty things to the harddrive on a fairly low level.

To make a long story short, I eventually ended up restoring from backup image. I then verified that chkdsk gave no errors both inside Windows and on reboot.

I then installed KAV and I still get no errors on reboot, but I do get a number of these when running it inside Windows:

CODE
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Deleting an index entry from index $O of file 15576.
Deleting index entry cch~9ce554b81e.htp in index $I30 of file 10071.
Deleting index entry cch~9ce583573c.htp in index $I30 of file 10071.
Deleting index entry CCH~9C~2.HTP in index $I30 of file 10071.

Is this normal or is there something odd about my system? I'm naturally a bit concerned about whether I risk running into the same backup situation again, since the one type of error I managed to catch from chkdsk prior to restoring backup was of the same type as the first few lines (the index $0 ones).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lucian Bara
post 26.05.2006 21:59
Post #2

Are You Kidding?

Group: Moderators

Hello. No it's not normal.
These problems may come form another program or windows/pc not shutting down properly. Kav shouldn't do that.

+Quote Post
Frode
post 27.05.2006 20:14
Post #3

QUOTE(lucianbara @ 26.05.2006 19:59)
Hello. No it's not normal.
These problems may come form another program or windows/pc not shutting down properly. Kav shouldn't do that.

Thanks. I'll try experimenting some more and see if it consistently shows up/vanishes along with KAV install/uninstall. I'll update with my findings.

+Quote Post
Lucian Bara
post 27.05.2006 20:16
Post #4

Are You Kidding?

QUOTE(Frode @ 27.05.2006 19:14)
Thanks. I'll try experimenting some more and see if it consistently shows up/vanishes along with KAV install/uninstall. I'll update with my findings.

Just a question, did you try to run the scan at startup (you know, the blue console) or only in windows? Because in windows some application may be moving files around and you get this.

+Quote Post
Frode
post 27.05.2006 20:35
Post #5

To quote myself
I then installed KAV and I still get no errors on reboot, but I do get a number of these when running it inside Windows

I did a scan inside Windows prior to installing KAV too though, and got nothing at that time. Which naturally lead me to suspect KAV.

I'll do some more checking later today to see if I can nail it to KAV or not.

+Quote Post
Lucian Bara
post 27.05.2006 20:37
Post #6

Are You Kidding?

QUOTE(Frode @ 27.05.2006 19:35)
To quote myself

I did a scan inside Windows prior to installing KAV too though, and got nothing at that time. Which naturally lead me to suspect KAV.

I'll do some more checking later today to see if I can nail it to KAV or not.

it could be a result of the iswift technology, but if so it's not dangerous since this happens because files are opened at that time for scanning and it could be interfering with chkdsk but i'm not sure unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Frode
post 27.05.2006 21:43
Post #7

QUOTE(lucianbara @ 27.05.2006 18:37)
it could be a result of the iswift technology, but if so it's not dangerous since this happens because files are opened at that time for scanning and it could be interfering with chkdsk but i'm not sure  unsure.gif

If that was the case others should be seeing it too though. And it should disappear after uninstalling KAV (it does not). Another thing that has me worried is that when I got the unrecoverable problem previously, chkdsk hung for very very long on 7% of index verification. Several times quitting out with "unspecified error". After I did the restore everything was smooth. But now it's back. For the record, I've also done a surface scan, with no errors.

I have yet to get the issue with imaging software being unable to analyze partition and perform backup, so I've at least secured one from today just in case.

It looks like I will have to restore my old backup once again, run several chkdsk both in Windows and on reboot, then install KAV and see what happens. I absolutely adore the new KAV so I really hope it turns out to be something different.

+Quote Post
Frode
post 28.05.2006 00:44
Post #8

I've now done some more testing on this. I did multiple reboots and chkdsk every step of the way to rule out fluke occurances.

First, I don't think we should get too hung up on the error messages. As speculated they'll pop up in varying frequency depending on open files. Pausing KAV momentarily causes anywhere from "a lot less" to zero of them. Even prior to installing KAV I got occasional ones like windows update dll files that weren't there on the next scan etc. They never appear on a boot-up scan.

So, disregard those.

One thing it seems I did not mention before, is that the errors pop up after chkdsk has hit the 7% mark. That is, it stands on 7% for a bit then they pop up. I have no idea what 7% signifies, but in my case it seems to be a vital part of chkdsk's run.

Prior to installing KAV 7% comes and goes in 3 seconds. After installing KAV, it's up to 7 seconds. After running a partial scan (that is, starting a "scan my computer" and aborting it after a few minutes), it's up to a whopping 34 seconds. Uninstalling KAV had no effect whatsoever. The time consumption remained at 34 seconds rather than go back to the pre-install 3 seconds.

It could be that the "unspecified error" I've gotten from chkdsk previously has in fact been along the lines of "sorry, this is taking too long, I give up".

I can't say why my backup software failed to analyze the partition (even if waiting several minutes for it). But considering chkdisk is acting up already I'm not going to take my chances on that not happening again. I guess it's restore backup once more, and try again next release. sad.gif Unless there's a chance one of the forthcoming hotfixes might address this?

+Quote Post
rotty
post 30.05.2006 04:44
Post #9

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(Frode @ 28.05.2006 06:44)
I've now done some more testing on this. I did multiple reboots and chkdsk every step of the way to rule out fluke occurances.

First, I don't think we should get too hung up on the error messages. As speculated they'll pop up in varying frequency depending on open files. Pausing KAV momentarily causes anywhere from "a lot less" to zero of them. Even prior to installing KAV I got occasional ones like windows update dll files that weren't there on the next scan etc. They never appear on a boot-up scan.

So, disregard those.

One thing it seems I did not mention before, is that the errors pop up after chkdsk has hit the 7% mark. That is, it stands on 7% for a bit then they pop up. I have no idea what 7% signifies, but in my case it seems to be a vital part of chkdsk's run.

Prior to installing KAV 7% comes and goes in 3 seconds. After installing KAV, it's up to 7 seconds. After running a partial scan (that is, starting a "scan my computer" and aborting it after a few minutes), it's up to a whopping 34 seconds. Uninstalling KAV had no effect whatsoever. The time consumption remained at 34 seconds rather than go back to the pre-install 3 seconds.

It could be that the "unspecified error" I've gotten from chkdsk previously has in fact been along the lines of "sorry, this is taking too long, I give up".

I can't say why my backup software failed to analyze the partition (even if waiting several minutes for it). But considering chkdisk is acting up already I'm not going to take my chances on that not happening again. I guess it's restore backup once more, and try again next release. sad.gif Unless there's a chance one of the forthcoming hotfixes might address this?

It seems to me that i have the same problem.

I have uninstalled kaspersky and everything is well for now.

KIS 6 , annoys CHKDSK, i am not fully sure how the computer is running without kaspersky installed, i want to give it at least a week to thouroughly test that it is not KIS 6

+Quote Post
Icepanther
post 30.05.2006 13:15
Post #10

Advanced Member II

Hi,

I've noted a 'strange' behaviour of Chkdsk when KIS (and before that, Kav5, but not NOD) is installed :

Indeed when Chkdsk runs step 2 it stays locked for a long time (for me on 0%) but atfer that it jumps at 80% or so and finishes its check at normal speed. I, however, don't have such problem with cleaning indexes (I had with KAV5) so for me it may just be a 'display' problem...

Anyway, it seems several people have problems between chkdsk and kis6....

--------------------
IcePanther

Machine : Alienware m17x r4 | i7-3610QM(4*2.3~3.3GHz) | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Radeon HD7970 2 GB | 2*256GB Vertex4 SSD | 1920*1080 17.3" screen | BD combo
Operating System : Windows 7 x64 (Fr)
Resident protection : KIS 13.0.1.4190(f)
Browser : Opera 12.14

+Quote Post
Frode
post 30.05.2006 13:29
Post #11

QUOTE(Icepanther @ 30.05.2006 11:15)
Hi,

I've noted a 'strange' behaviour of Chkdsk when KIS (and before that, Kav5, but not NOD) is installed :

Indeed when Chkdsk runs step 2 it stays locked for a long time (for me on 0%) but atfer that it jumps at 80% or so and finishes its check at normal speed. I, however, don't have such problem with cleaning indexes (I had with KAV5) so for me it may just be a 'display' problem...

What made me decide to skip KAV6 (or at least wait a few months before trying again, assuming I haven't bought something else meanwhiles), was the fact that it apparently makes permanent changes to the filesystem. And those changes do not seem to be benevolent on all configurations. The obvious suspect would be iSwift, which I believe I read somewhere requires a driver to be installed. I didn't notice whether this could be deselected during installation. If it can though that might solve the issue. Think I have to try that out in vmware when I get home. Cause apart from this issue, KAV pretty much kills everything out there currently in my opinion.

I so want to make it work, but unfortunately the chkdsk problem constitutes a showstopper for me. I can't trust an anti-virus that does something so funky to my harddrive that there's no way back.

+Quote Post
XpSunny
post 30.05.2006 15:29
Post #12

Advanced Member II

QUOTE(Icepanther @ 30.05.2006 14:45)
Hi,

Try:

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

I think it will definately fix you HDD errors. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Icepanther
post 30.05.2006 21:34
Post #13

Advanced Member II

QUOTE(XpSunny @ 30.05.2006 13:29)
Try:

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
I think it will definately fix you HDD errors. biggrin.gif

I forgot to tell, that my HDD is NOT a Seagate one but a Fujitsu 2.5" one (laptop)...

I also have remarked when running Perfect Disk, that since KIS is istalled, the 'metadata' (whatever it is) on the disk is heavily fragmented, file fragmentation stays approximately same with and without KIS. But Metadata does fragment really quicklier with KIS installed.
don't know if this is related to the issues with ckdsk, though...

--------------------
IcePanther

Machine : Alienware m17x r4 | i7-3610QM(4*2.3~3.3GHz) | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Radeon HD7970 2 GB | 2*256GB Vertex4 SSD | 1920*1080 17.3" screen | BD combo

+Quote Post
Lucian Bara
post 30.05.2006 21:35
Post #14

Are You Kidding?

QUOTE(Icepanther @ 30.05.2006 20:34)
I forgot to tell, that my HDD is NOT a Seagate one but a Fujitsu 2.5" one (laptop)...

I also have remarked when running Perfect Disk, that since KIS is istalled, the 'metadata' (whatever it is) on the disk is heavily fragmented, file fragmentation stays approximately same with and without KIS. But Metadata does fragment really quicklier with KIS installed.
don't know if this is related to the issues with ckdsk, though...

That second part (fragmented metadata) was confirmed by a user in the german forum.

+Quote Post
Icepanther
post 30.05.2006 21:46
Post #15

Advanced Member II

QUOTE(lucianbara @ 30.05.2006 19:35)
That second part (fragmented metadata) was confirmed by a user in the german forum.

Thanks for the info lucianbara !

As quick as ever to reply biggrin.gif

--------------------
IcePanther

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 30.05.2006 22:17
Post #16

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

Well, i also use both KIS and PerfectDisk and i do not see any heavy fragmentation of metadata, do you have system restore enabled, Icepanther?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Icepanther
post 30.05.2006 22:22
Post #17

Advanced Member II

QUOTE(Don Pelotas @ 30.05.2006 20:17)
Well, i also use both KIS and PerfectDisk and i do not see any heavy fragmentation of metadata, do you have system restore enabled, Icepanther?

Yes, it is enabled. Can it be the cause of the problem ? If so, is it safe to deactivate it( since I don't ever use it, but until now I kept it on because I don't really know if there can be problems disabling it) ?

--------------------
IcePanther

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 30.05.2006 22:29
Post #18

Global Moderator

QUOTE(Icepanther @ 30.05.2006 20:22)
Yes, it is enabled. Can it be the cause of the problem ? If so, is it safe to deactivate it( since I don't ever use it, but until now I kept it on because I don't really know if there can be problems disabling it) ?

If you don't use it, then you should most definitely disable it!

IMPORTANT NOTES:
You must be logged in as an Administrator to do this. If you are not logged in as an Administrator, the System Restore tab will not be displayed.
Turning off System Restore will clear out all previous restore points.

To turn off Windows XP System Restore:

NOTE: These instructions assume that you are using the default Windows XP Start Menu and have not changed to the Classic Start menu. To re-enable the default menu, right-click Start, click Properties, click Start menu (not Classic) and then click OK.

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Check "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives" as shown in this illustration:
5. Click Apply.
6. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this.
7. Click OK. Reboot

--------------------

+Quote Post
Icepanther
post 30.05.2006 22:34
Post #19

Advanced Member II

Thanks Don,

I didn't know if there were risks to disable it, but if not, i'll do it right now ^^

--------------------
IcePanther

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 30.05.2006 22:40
Post #20

Global Moderator

QUOTE(Icepanther @ 30.05.2006 20:34)
Thanks Don,

I didn't know if there were risks to disable it, but if not, i'll do it right now ^^

No risks, you will even have more HD-space. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18.04.2014 22:19