Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steam problem, home (laptop) comp
dancamvet
post 8.12.2009 22:41
Post #1

Group: Members

Hi there,

I'm running my windows Vista laptop and as of a few days (01/12/09 i believe) ago Steam (games digital download etc. programme) started to have issues. When i booted my laptop and attempted to run Steam i would get an error message indicating the the Steam.exe file was missing. The computer would then use the original install file to recover the programme and Steam would boot up after the subsequent updates to the programme had been installed. I also completely unistalled and reinstalled the application and this hasn't helped. Today i received several messages indicating that this was exhibiting Trojan-like behaviour. This has got me slightly worried as this issue is a recent development.

I ran a Kaspersky virus scan of the drive partition in question and this reported no issues. I've also included a copy of the proactive defense report and application report, the detected > active threats list is empty.

I'm currently doing an Adaware scan (not sure if that's going to do much) and i'm going to try restarting in safe mode and trying kaspersky again after that.

I was wondering whether this is a know issue or whether it is something nasty, i'm generally fairly careful about what i do with my computer but we all make errors i suppose. If it is a known issue i can worry less.

Any help would be appreciated.

DCV
Attached File(s)
Attached File  k2.jpg ( 131,96K ) Number of downloads: 9
Attached File  k_screen.jpg ( 151,51K ) Number of downloads: 5

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dawgg
post 9.12.2009 16:16
Post #2

Forum Elite

Group: Moderators

It is a behavoural detection and as long as it is installed from the original CD or an installer from a legitimate source (no pirated/downloaded from unofficial sources/illegal copies), Add it to Trusted.... Open Kaspersky, click MySecurityZone - Applications... select "Restricted" in the dropdown list.
Right-click any application reated to Steam or your game and select ChangeStatus - Trusted.
Do this to each application.
(I presume steamtmp.exe will be in the list).

+Quote Post
dancamvet
post 10.12.2009 20:40
Post #3

Group: Members

Aye, a Steam tech also suggested this and it seems to have worked. Did give my system a clean-up and no problems reported. Apparently it is an issue Steam are aware of between the programme and Kaspersky occasionally. Have got it sorted now, thanks for the response.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2.09.2014 15:34