IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do I open a TCP port between my printer and computer?
Harborseal
post 10.08.2009 06:34
Post #1

Group: Members

I'm trying to install an HP all in one and I get this error msg:

Unable to communicate with your printer at this time. This may be caused by a Firewall. If you are using firewall software, verify TCP port 9500 is unblocked from your PC to your printer at 192.168.0.10.
Unable to communicate with your printer at this time. This may be caused by a Firewall. If you are using firewall software, verify TCP port 9290 is unblocked from your PC to your printer at 192.168.0.10.
If you reconfigure the firewall, click Retry to see if the network communication is unblocked or click Next to continue.

I've tried poking around but haven't had any success. Searching the manal produces no hits. A pointer or decription would be appreciated!

Bob C

This post has been edited by Harborseal: 10.08.2009 06:42
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 10.08.2009 07:23
Post #2

Are You Kidding?

Group: Global moderators

Welcome. What Kaspersky product and version? If KIS, set your Home network to Local or Trusted.

Please see Network Setup and Diagnostics, located in the third important topic, and here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=82962

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
biyahero
post 10.08.2009 23:32
Post #3

Advanced Member III

QUOTE(richbuff @ 10.08.2009 13:23) *
Welcome. What Kaspersky product and version? If KIS, set your Home network to Local or Trusted.

Please see Network Setup and Diagnostics, located in the third important topic, and here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=82962

If the suggestions by richbuff don't fix your problem, I have experienced this myself, and below is how I fixed it.
The HP error messages about ports being open are generic messages and don't mean that your ports are not open.

I am assuming you have a router. If so, the DHCP server component of your router assigns an IP address to your computer(s) and to the printer. The order that you turn on the printer and the computer(s) and printer determine to some degree what address will be given to each... although the expiration date of IP address assignment by the router also plays a role.

The root of the problem is Windows gets confused what the IP address of the printer is, and can't find it.
If you assign a fixed IP address to the printer (which can be done from with the printer settings) the problem will go away. To fix it first determine what the IP address of your printer is currently, which you can do by trial and error or by going to the Router settings (on a Linksys router type 192.168.1.1 in a browser like Internet Explorer) and then look for DHCP settings. Or by trial and error just start typing IP addresses in the browser starting with 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, etc until the Printer Control Panel opens. Then aside from checking the ink levels and some other things, there will be a setting to use a fixed IP address for the printer.

Choose one of a number higher than 192.168.1.100 + the number of other computers and IP using devices you have... for example I use 192.168.1.108 so that the address you choose will never be taken by another device if you don't turn on the printer until last. That will fix your problem.... at least for me it always did.

+Quote Post
Harborseal
post 11.08.2009 03:56
Post #4

QUOTE(biyahero @ 10.08.2009 12:32) *
If the suggestions by richbuff don't fix your problem, I have experienced this myself, and below is how I fixed it.
The HP error messages about ports being open are generic messages and don't mean that your ports are not open.

Thanks for the replies! I have KIS 2009 (I'll install 2010 after the printer finishes its install). I'll try the suggestions tonight and let you know how it's working. I have a DLink dir 825 router. The HP all-in-one prints fine from any windows app, the only problem is the scanner. Every time I try to scan I get an error. In Vista (my OS) the button on the printer doesn't work (known issue), but it should scan through twain. Mine wont. The router and the printer will give me the printer's IP address when I ask them. Very convenient.

Bob C.

This post has been edited by Harborseal: 11.08.2009 04:05

+Quote Post
Whizard
post 11.08.2009 06:05
Post #5

Professional

Group: Moderators

Can you scan from within Windows Vista? It has a built in application for that smile.gif

--------------------
Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24.11.2014 16:11