IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Closed TopicStart new topic
> MSXML 4.0 SP2 - Can I delete these files?, cross posts > merged.
librahi
post 8.06.2009 07:14
Post #1

Group: Members

I have installed the latest Windows SP3 updates, but still have these msxml 4.0 sp2 files in my add/remove programs and want to remove them for security vulnerability issues. Can I do this? There are 4 of them from sp2 and I am running sp3 from what I see. Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rowantree
post 8.06.2009 10:20
Post #2

Advanced Member II

QUOTE(librahi @ 8.06.2009 04:14) *
I have installed the latest Windows SP3 updates, but still have these msxml 4.0 sp2 files in my add/remove programs and want to remove them for security vulnerability issues. Can I do this? There are 4 of them from sp2 and I am running sp3 from what I see. Thanks!

I have this on three different PCs, all of which are fully patched totally up-to-date SP3. I tried removing, reinstalling, downloading patches etc and eventually gave up. It appears to be one of those things KIS gets wrong as nothing else reports it either. KIS tech support eventually said to just exclude them which means they've no idea how to sort it either...

+Quote Post
TrueGreen
post 8.06.2009 18:04
Post #3

Kaspersky Fan II

msxml4 is no longer supported by microsoft so it can't be updated. The best advice is to ignore it. This was a big topic on this forum awhile back. Do a search for msxml4 to get a feel for the topic.

--------------------
Make sure you ACTIVATION CODE is listed and backed up in your My Kaspersky Account.

+Quote Post
Kalanhi
post 8.06.2009 23:58
Post #4

Advanced Member II

QUOTE(TrueGreen @ 8.06.2009 17:04) *
msxml4 is no longer supported by microsoft so it can't be updated. The best advice is to ignore it. This was a big topic on this forum awhile back. Do a search for msxml4 to get a feel for the topic.

Although I delt with MSXML4 months ago, over the weekend I installed a HP Office jet printer. Guess what happened....MsxML4.dll showed up again in vulnerabilities. I just deleted MSXML4.dll from the directory where Kis found it. Control panel still has the KB954430 fix for 4.0 though so guess everything OK. Although,copy is still in sys32 directory vulnerability check does not find it now except in the recycler so will empty the bin

+Quote Post
fkanehl
post 13.09.2011 10:59
Post #5

Hi Community,

I am running into this problem: after starting my computer today, KIS shows up the following threat:

Microsoft ® MSXML 4.0 SP2. I tried to click on fix but nothing happens so far, I tried updating all current Windows 7 updates which did not help either.

KIS Info: http://www.viruslist.com/de/find?search_mo...23655&sha1=

Hopefully someone can help me with this.

Regards

This post has been edited by fkanehl: 13.09.2011 11:04

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 13.09.2011 11:16
Post #6

Are You Kidding?

Group: Moderators
From: currently: falling out of a kayak in the middle of the Mediterranean, near Kekova Island, Turkey

Welcome. Please post the full, complete detection details. Post screenshot of Detected > Active threats.

How to take and post screenshot: PrtSc (Print screen) key (upper right part of keyboard)> open Paint (Start > All programs > Accessories) > Edit > Paste, File > Save as (jpeg or
png, Not bmp). When replying, Browse > click once to select file > Open > Upload > add reply.

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
fkanehl
post 13.09.2011 11:21
Post #7

Hope that's fine:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/155/kisthreat.jpg/

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 13.09.2011 11:33
Post #8

Are You Kidding?

From: currently: falling out of a kayak in the middle of the Mediterranean, near Kekova Island, Turkey

It's in German, and we do have a German section of this forum.

Maybe you can translate all of the text that is in the screenshot, or post in the German section? smile.gif

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
fkanehl
post 13.09.2011 11:37
Post #9

it says

legal program which could be used by a potential attacker to harm the computer or its user data.

I know but I prefer to post in the English section as probably more users are active in here and therefore I might get an answer quicker, I hope that's ok with you.

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 13.09.2011 11:53
Post #10

Are You Kidding?

Ok. smile.gif Add the item to Exclusions. Reports > Detailed Report > Detected threats. Right click the detection and Add to exclusions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkanehl
post 13.09.2011 11:55
Post #11

Are you sure about just ignoring this ? Isn't this a potential easy-target for malware then ? Do you know if there's any other fix available ? Tried updating on that but hasn't worked at all sad.gif

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 13.09.2011 14:11
Post #12

Are You Kidding?

I received your screenshot of Reports > Detailed Report > Detected threats, via PM. Status is = Inaktiv. Basically, you can ignore it. Keep your Windows and your applications updated, and you are good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
altonius
post 1.03.2014 17:09
Post #13

Microsoft doesn't offer any auto-update mechanism from MSXML 4.0 SP2 to MSXML 4.0 SP3, so you'll have to manually install an update.

You can download it from Microsoft.

I have written a blog post on this particular issue which can be found at https://altonblom.com/s34e03/

+Quote Post
altonius
post 1.03.2014 17:15
Post #14

QUOTE(TrueGreen @ 9.06.2009 00:04) *

Although MSXML 4.0 SP2 is no longer supported there is a manual update available from microsoft that will update it to MSXML 4.0 SP3 - unfortunatly Microsoft aren't offering an auto-update via Windows Update for this one.

It is worth applying the manual update which can be downloaded from Microsoft

I have written a blog post on this particular problem and the vulnerabiliy it exposes computers to. It can be found at https://altonblom.com/s34e03/

+Quote Post
altonius
post 20.07.2014 01:57
Post #15

QUOTE(altonius @ 1.03.2014 23:15) *
Although MSXML 4.0 SP2 is no longer supported there is a manual update available from microsoft that will update it to MSXML 4.0 SP3 - unfortunatly Microsoft aren't offering an auto-update via Windows Update for this one.

It is worth applying the manual update which can be downloaded from Microsoft

I have written a blog post on this particular problem and the vulnerabiliy it exposes computers to. It can be found at https://altonblom.com/s34e03/

This is just another quick update to let you and the community know that ALL versions of MSXML 4.0 are now no longer supported by Microsoft [1].

Like earlier, I've written a post on this titled "And it's official, MSXML 4.0 SP3 is out of support!"

[1] https://support.microsoft.com/gp/msxmlannounce

Alton(ius) Blom

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21.09.2014 16:06