IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
>  Firefox 20.0 and Kaspersky add-ons., merged.
Wilf21
post 3.04.2013 01:51
Post #1

Advanced Member IV

Group: Members

What are the chances of Safe Money (and URL advisor, Virtual Keyboard, etc.) ever catching up now that FF20.0 is out, I wonder? How nice it would be to be able to use them. Sigh.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 3.04.2013 04:50
Post #2

Are You Kidding?

Group: Moderators

Chances are very high. The question is: When?

Answer: Sometime in the future. I think I can narrow that time frame down a little bit to somewhere around when Kaspersky is ready. When will Kaspersky be ready? Maybe Tech Support knows.

Your post is the first Fx 20 add-ons post. This is the second. What will the third post say? Such a philosophical question, so early in the Spring.

All has already been said about this topic. All of that is located here: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0054261977750...&gsc.page=1

This topic is currently open, in case someone has original, informative content. Repetitive, unproductive posting shall result in Closure. smile.gif

--------------
Sorry, an error occurred. The board has enabled "Firefox add-ons" flood control. Please try posting non-"Firefox add-ons" content.

+Quote Post
Wilf21
post 3.04.2013 11:29
Post #3

Advanced Member IV

QUOTE(richbuff @ 3.04.2013 00:50) *

Answer: Sometime in the future. I think I can narrow that time frame down a little bit to somewhere around when Kaspersky is ready. When will Kaspersky be ready? Maybe Tech Support knows.

Your post is the first Fx 20 add-ons post. This is the second. What will the third post say? Such a philosophical question, so early in the Spring.

All has already been said about this topic. All of that is located here: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0054261977750...&gsc.page=1

This topic is currently open, in case someone has original, informative content. Repetitive, unproductive posting shall result in Closure. smile.gif
--------------
Sorry, an error occurred. The board has enabled "Firefox add-ons" flood control. Please try posting non-"Firefox add-ons" content.

Thank you, Richbuff. I'm just letting off steam here, really. It's just makes me sad considering that Kaspersky makes what is reputedly the best Windows protection software going. Maybe they should give up on add-ons for Firefox altogether because it's not doing their reputation any good this way. It would be nice to hear a statement from them on this, not just "when it's ready, it's ready".

+Quote Post
TrDo
post 3.04.2013 14:28
Post #4

Advanced Member I

Hi Wilf21,

I had to revert back to FF18, to make sure that all the KIS 2013 add-ons are working, including the SafeMoney functionality.

Have you considered this option?

All the best,

TrDo.

PS. If you do, disable the auto-updates.

+Quote Post
Wilf21
post 3.04.2013 14:58
Post #5

Advanced Member IV

QUOTE(TrDo @ 3.04.2013 10:28) *
Hi Wilf21,

I had to revert back to FF18, to make sure that all the KIS 2013 add-ons are working, including the SafeMoney functionality.

Have you considered this option?

All the best,

TrDo.

PS. If you do, disable the auto-updates.

Thanks TrDo. I could do that I guess. Although I don't really like going back to earlier versions of software such as FF when newer versions may have fixed vulnerabilities.

+Quote Post
TrDo
post 3.04.2013 15:05
Post #6

Advanced Member I

Hey Wilf21,

I understand. I really hate that do. But in this case, I had no option.

What I did to compensate for the FF18 reversion, is that I installed the NoScript add-on. It's an added layer of security, despite the fact that it can get a bit tiring at moments.

But it's a super add-on for FF. Try it. And this way you get all KIS 2013 Browser functionality as well.

All the best,

TrDo.

PS. I also run WinPatrol, Zemana AntiLogger, MBAM Pro and Comodo Firewall (Defense+ Only).

This post has been edited by TrDo: 3.04.2013 15:10

+Quote Post
Wilf21
post 3.04.2013 16:45
Post #7

Advanced Member IV

QUOTE(TrDo @ 3.04.2013 11:05) *
Hey Wilf21,

I understand. I really hate that do. But in this case, I had no option.

What I did to compensate for the FF18 reversion, is that I installed the NoScript add-on. It's an added layer of security, despite the fact that it can get a bit tiring at moments.

But it's a super add-on for FF. Try it. And this way you get all KIS 2013 Browser functionality as well.

All the best,

TrDo.
PS. I also run WinPatrol, Zemana AntiLogger, MBAM Pro and Comodo Firewall (Defense+ Only).

Thanks, I may well give it a go. Of course, then I'll never know if and when KIS functionality returns to a later version of FF.

+Quote Post
ididntdoit
post 3.04.2013 20:35
Post #8

I came here looking for a solution to the much debated/argued topic and found too many comments to read them all. As I was reading some of the comments it occurred to me that maybe this isn't exclusively Kaspersky's responsibility but rather BOTH Kaspersky and Firefox. Firefox updates WAY too often for anyone to be able to keep up with any type of add-on. There is (debatable) good reason for this, but I don't see why add-ons need to be broken for most every update to the browser. It seems to me that Firefox should develope an "add-on engine" that is universal to all (or at least most) versions of browsers and this engine should last a very long time until the engine itself needs to be updated, at which time Kaspersky and other add-on developers will have to update their add-ons.

My point is, maybe it would be more fruitful to complain to the Firefox people and not the Kaspersky people to get this issue resolved.

I can also understand the point of view that Kaspersky, as a major AV company, should be able to keep up with their Firefox add-ons, though I don't believe this would not be the most efficient way of resolving the issue.

Until a satisfactory solution is found, I will patiently wait for the "G" update to come out, as I think (hope) that is what will resolve my particular issue.

+Quote Post
Caos
post 3.04.2013 20:46
Post #9

Spanish Forum Moderator

At the moment patch g (beta) does not resolved the add-ons problem with Firefox 20

Regards

--------------------

+Quote Post
harlan4096
post 3.04.2013 20:47
Post #10

True legend

Welcome.

I agree with You ... but for now, it seems patch g will not resolve the compatibility with FF20 ... unless They deliver a new update before the oficial release smile.gif

Regards.

This post has been edited by harlan4096: 3.04.2013 20:48

--------------------
Testing System KIS2015MR2 beta : Windows 8 Enterprise x64 K AMD Athlon II X3 450 @ 3,20Ghz 8GB RAM (Real System)
Testing System KIS4A 11.6.1.9 MR7 beta
: Sony Xperia S K JB 4.1.2

+Quote Post
ididntdoit
post 3.04.2013 21:01
Post #11

QUOTE(Caos @ 3.04.2013 12:46) *
At the moment patch g (beta) does not resolved the add-ons problem with Firefox 20

Regards

Yes, one of the comments I did read stated that "G" would be out April 10. My issue is with FF 17 though, not 20, but thank you for the reply.

Please - no one tell me about the importance of keeping my browser updated. I am well aware of it, but I have my reasons (as do a lot of other people) for not updating on a daily basis. I believe the browser add-ons should just work, regardless if the browser is up-to-date, securety-wise, or not - hence my idea of the "add-on engine".

I am happy enough with Kaspersky, whether the add-ons work or not, even though they were part of the reason I purchased it. To me, it would be icing on the cake and that is all.

Anyway, this topic is not intended to rehash the arguments/debates from other topics. Please do not do that. It was to hopefully reduce those comments by redirecting them to where I believe (at least at this time) they would be of more help.

This post has been edited by ididntdoit: 3.04.2013 21:03

+Quote Post
Jen27
post 3.04.2013 23:12
Post #12

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(richbuff @ 3.04.2013 03:50) *

--------------

I am a bit curiuos about The firefox ESR version that was reccomended to me from you to download.I did notice it says For corparate use & have not seen anything about home computers.
Also Why If this is a suggested fix that works with plug ins.It is not Suggested to the millions of others that have posted on this topic? Is there something I missed? Thanks

+Quote Post
ididntdoit
post 4.04.2013 05:24
Post #13

QUOTE(Jen27 @ 3.04.2013 15:12) *
I am a bit curiuos about The firefox ESR version that was reccomended to me from you to download.I did notice it says For corparate use & have not seen anything about home computers.
Also Why If this is a suggested fix that works with plug ins.It is not Suggested to the millions of others that have posted on this topic? Is there something I missed? Thanks

I haven't had the time to try out the ESR version yet, but I suspect the reference to "corporate" is because maybe this ESR version isn't updated as often or maybe it doesn't include cosmetic updates, as an example, so that corporations can determine whether or not they want to divert resources to fixing things that an update might break vs. putting those resources to another use while using the "same", un-updated browser. In other words, it may only do security updates. This is how I look at it for my personal use. I prefer to take my chances without the security updates and cosmetic, or otherwise unimportant, updates vs. finding (or waiting for) updated plugins and software that is compatible with the updated browser. I've been doing it this way for over ten years and have NEVER gotten an infection. The only time I update the browser is when I absolutely have to, for my purposes. Same thing with the operating system too, BTW. I read about too many updates that break things that I deem it not necessary, but this is a whole other discussion not intended for this topic.

@richbuff - thanks for merging. I really didn't want to open a new topic for this, but couldn't decide where it would best fit.

+Quote Post
Sall
post 4.04.2013 16:36
Post #14

Kaspersky Fan I

Group: Gold beta testers

Even though it says in firefox that antibanner is deactivated it is still working no ? at least it seems like that when I surf around, I dont see many banners.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gaz666
post 4.04.2013 17:22
Post #15

Advanced Member I

I have been using the ESR version of Firefox for some time now. It works well with all Kaspersky add ons and it's just been updated to version 17.0.5.
As long as all the add ons work who cares if there's a few bits of cosmetics missing, install it and have a much easier life! supercool.gif

--------------------
KIS 2015 15.0.0.463 (a)
Windows 7 Ultimate (build 7601) X64
Firefox 24.7.0 ESR
Internet Explorer 11.0.10
Microsoft Office 2010 X64 (version 14.0.7113.5005)
Intel i5 2500k 3.3ghz Quad Processor (O/C'd to 4.3ghz)
16 GB Ram

+Quote Post
Sall
post 4.04.2013 17:48
Post #16

Kaspersky Fan I

Group: Gold beta testers

QUOTE(gaz666 @ 4.04.2013 14:22) *
I have been using the ESR version of Firefox for some time now. It works well with all Kaspersky add ons and it's just been updated to version 17.0.5.
As long as all the add ons work who cares if there's a few bits of cosmetics missing, install it and have a much easier life! supercool.gif

I think the antibanner is working for FF 20 also, even though it says under the addons that it is deactivated.

EDIT: just tested and works fine, so as you say it is only cosmetic, at least for antibanner smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sall: 4.04.2013 17:57

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wilf21
post 4.04.2013 17:59
Post #17

Advanced Member IV

QUOTE(Wilf21 @ 3.04.2013 12:45) *
Thanks, I may well give it a go. Of course, then I'll never know if and when KIS functionality returns to a later version of FF.

Have installed FF v17 ESR and of course, as you say, all the K add-ons are compatible. Good. I see no real reason not to go with this option for the time being at least. Of course, when the ESR is updated to v24 later in the year, will we find that, at least initially, these add-ons are, once more, incompatible? I look forward with great interest to finding that out!

+Quote Post
TrDo
post 4.04.2013 22:34
Post #18

Advanced Member I

Well done Wilf21. Glad it worked for you.

All the best,

TrDo.

+Quote Post
harlan4096
post 5.04.2013 20:48
Post #19

True legend

It seems in the end patch G will come with FF20 addons support smile.gif

Regards.

--------------------
Testing System KIS2015MR2 beta : Windows 8 Enterprise x64 K AMD Athlon II X3 450 @ 3,20Ghz 8GB RAM (Real System)
Testing System KIS4A 11.6.1.9 MR7 beta
: Sony Xperia S K JB 4.1.2

+Quote Post
BobBob
post 8.04.2013 03:00
Post #20

Several have asked what the ESR acronym stands for or what the Firefox ESR version really is. Here is one answer:

"Firefox ESR version is Mozilla's Firefox Extended Support Release, a community-led project that allows organizations to benefit from the speed, flexibility and security of Firefox while getting the support they need.

Who is it for?
Firefox ESR is intended for groups who deploy and maintain the desktop environment in large organizations such as universities and other schools, county or city governments and businesses.

Who is it not for?
Individual users who always want the latest features, performance enhancements and technologies in their browser without waiting for them to become available in ESR several development cycles later."

For more info and to get the Firefox ESR version go to:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25.10.2014 04:35