Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kaspersky PURE vs ESET Internet Security, About to renew my license
BrynP
post 29.07.2010 18:57
Post #1

Group: Members

Hello, first post here

I've used Kaspersky Internet Security for 2 years and it has been a fantastic product that I've always recommended to others and now is the time for me to renew my license or to upgrade to Kaspersky PURE (which I am tempted to do), but a recent computer problem has lead me closer to ESET Internet Security/NOD32.

From their comparison chart, ESET appears to come out top, but then it's marketing, after all, Kaspersky comes out top on Kaspersky's comparison chart. smile.gif However, for the past week - coming to the end of my Kaspersky subscription (got about 15 days left) it refused to update and I've traced the problem to a DNS virus - as other software I tried (like ESET 30-day trial) didn't update either, though the good thing was that ESET was capable of updating itself on start up, just not any time after that. But in the period I couldn't update I attracted more viruses and trojans, and the combined use of ESET 30-day trial and MalwareBytes meant I could keep on top of it, until eventually MalwareBytes was able to remove the virus and now my PC is clean, at least it seems to be at the moment. My intention was to buy Kaspersky Pure on the last day of my KIS license, but the fact ESET was able to update when Kaspersky wasn't had me thinking - what if I found myself in a similar situation again, would I be better off by having ESET or Kaspersky? I know MalwareBytes finally removed the virus, but if I were using ESET then I imagine the other viruses would have stood less of a chance, because at least it could update itself on start-up.

Naturally, I feel loyal to Kasperksy, because it has served me so well, but these are the differences in my mind:

Kaspersky PURE
Staples is selling it for £35 (currently on offer I believe)
More features to keep me on top of my security
KIS 2009 was able to update on start-up before the virus had its effect
2-years of customer satisfaction with KIS

ESET Internet Security
Costs £49
Covers the same job as KIS, but lack the extra benefits PURE has
ESET was capable of updating on start-up before the virus had its effect
Have had this one recommended to me many a time before.

I've made use of the 30-day trial of Kaspersky PURE and I liked it, but I'm wondering if its benefits make it worth it. It's a difficult choice so I'm wondering how anybody's experiences and advice can influence me, I realise asking a Kaspersky forum is a tad biased, but I want to know why buying Kaspersky PURE would be better for me than ESET and not the other way round. wink.gif

Thank you
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 29.07.2010 19:31
Post #2

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

Bottom line is...............................use what you like best. if you're going to jump ship every time something looks greener on the other side....you will jumping a lot because no product will do it all and the day after you might have seen the opposite picture regarding something else.

You will of course see mostly see pro comments here and we actually for that reason and because threads like these are troll feasts ...we do not allow them. a pice of advice btw, do not use more than one AV, they just don't get along well and always leave traces behind when uninstalled. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BrynP
post 29.07.2010 20:20
Post #3

Group: Members

I can see your point there. My concern was that Kasperky wasn't able to function properly because of the virus and ESET was mostly able to...is that enough of a reason to jump ship? I suppose it's possible I'll encounter a problem where Kaspersky would work better in the future.

I suppose, when you think about it, in terms of features, Kaspersky PURE has more pros, it's cheaper and this is the only time I've ever found Kaspersky to not deliver when I've needed it...perhaps the idea to change is just paranoia on my part?

As for troll-fests, I understand that any kind of 'vs' thread can end that way, usually I try to be objective as possible rather than knock other peoples opinions or any products, but of course, you know this forum better than I, so if you think it's more likely to end up as a trollfest instead of something constructive, then I'll have no problem if you decide to lock this thread.

Thank you

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23.08.2014 09:32