IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Long Shoud the Initial Full Computer Scan Take?
Bill Wallace
post 7.12.2007 17:39
Post #1

Group: Members

Hi,

I just installed K 7.0 and am doing the initial full computer scan. 2 days now and I'm ~25k files into it.

I have a twin 1.8g processor system with 2 gig ram and a 60 gig scsci harddrive (80% used).

-Bill W.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
King Grub
post 7.12.2007 17:58
Post #2

Kaspersky Fan I

That's too long, anyway.

It depends on the number of files, and archives and big files take a lot of time, but 2 days sounds unreasonable. My 500 GB hard drive (300 used) took a couple of hours the first time.

+Quote Post
fredbi
post 7.12.2007 18:03
Post #3

Advanced Member II

Welcome Bill to our forum.

For my part I scan 300 GB in 11 h (full scan) with less memory and a single AMD 2 years old CPU (so much less power than you have) WITH EXTENDED ROOTKIT enabled.

To my knowledge "extended rootkit" detection is the parameter with most performance impact. Have you it checked ?

+Quote Post
bamapete
post 7.12.2007 18:05
Post #4

Advanced Member III

Ballpark guess would be about 45 minutes to 1 hr. per 20 gigs. I say that because both my computers fall into that range and neither took more than one hour for first full scan with Kaspersky. And I used the extended rootkit setting. If I read your post right you have about 48 gig of data on your HD? That sounds like maybe an initial full system scan of not more than 2 or 3 hours. I'm not an expert but everything I've always heard about hard-drives is that once you fill it to the 80% area you are starting to seriously degrade its performance. Something's not right though...just hang around as some others here with more knowledge will give you quality advice. Good luck.

This post has been edited by bamapete: 7.12.2007 18:08

--------------------
XP/SP3, Firefox. KIS 2012 v11.0.2.556(b). Ccleaner, Power Tools Lite, Smart Defrag. KISS, Keep it Simple Silly!

+Quote Post
Bernhard
post 7.12.2007 18:09
Post #5

Professional II

Group: Gold beta testers

Hi Bill,

thats far to much !

- which KAV/KIS Version exactly are you running !?
- does scanning "hang" on special files !?
- any other securtiy application / firewall installed !?
- did you perform a clean deinstallation of other security software before !?

--------------------
Otter-Avoider

+Quote Post
fredbi
post 7.12.2007 18:12
Post #6

Advanced Member II

Pete is right, something is wrong with your config - as its announced raw power (SCSI, twin proc, 2GB...) should scream a higher level... Besides parameters that do affect weither a file is scanned or not ("new/changed files", "iChecker", "iSwift") - we are talking about a full scan - , performance relevant parameters are:
- "release CPU to other applications" => so KIS won't compete with other running apps and they may well downgrade the scanning job
- "heuristics level" => not so critical. Yes it hurts, but not badly
- "rootkit detection" => not hurting much
- "extended rootkit detection" => really slows down

If your setting is okay to that respect, well, we must have to look into a possible conflict of KIS with some other software. To help us in helping you, please follow the sticky procedure describe to post a GetSystemInfo report on the forum.

Cheers,

Fred

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 7.12.2007 18:17
Post #7

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

Like the others have said already, thats way to long.

What happens if you uncheck "Conceed resources to other applications" found in the first window that opens when you press settings? (Do a reboot first after the change)

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredbi
post 7.12.2007 18:37
Post #8

Advanced Member II

Hi Don.
I don't wan't to hijack here, but please let met know why are you constantly advising to reboot ? "apply" wouldn't be enough ?
I won't argue here about similar reinstalling/reformatting... rolleyes.gif ........ of course.
Salute. Fred

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 7.12.2007 18:43
Post #9

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

QUOTE(fredbi @ 7.12.2007 15:37) *
Hi Don.
I don't wan't to hijack here, but please let met know why are you constantly advising to reboot ? "apply" wouldn't be enough ?
I won't argue here about similar reinstalling/reformatting... rolleyes.gif ........ of course.
Salute. Fred

Because of that one time in 100 times you do it............it doesn't work even when it normally does work and a reboot is not really something hard to do.

P.s. If you don't want to hijack....then don't say you don't want to hijack and then go do it anyway, the PM is invented....... wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
krazeedriver
post 9.01.2008 20:27
Post #10

I just installed KIS 7.0 (upgraded from 6.0) on my laptop and am trying my 2nd go-round of the 1st full system scan. The 1st one was taking so long that I stopped it about 6 hrs. into it and tried again. Well, I'm now at 27.5 hrs. and my guess is that it's only scanned about 75% of my system.

What's up with this??? If I stop it, I'll have to do the same thing all over. Also, I'm ready to install 7.0 on my desktop and don't want to have the same issue. Is there anything I can do to speed this up? This didn't happen with 6.0.

Thanks.

-Very Frustrated

+Quote Post
bamapete
post 9.01.2008 21:51
Post #11

Advanced Member III

Hi krazeedriver. Are you sure you aren't looking at the "Computer Protection Status" window? To the right it will say "running," with a count of files scanned of several thousand most likely, and to the left of that it will say "Scanned:" If this is what you are referring too then your computer and KIS are working as they should be. This is not a regular scan of the hard drive but the real time scanning that KIS always does. If you are talking about a regular scan of My Computer and it's taking as long as you say, then a definite prob, but first things first.

--------------------
XP/SP3, Firefox. KIS 2012 v11.0.2.556(b). Ccleaner, Power Tools Lite, Smart Defrag. KISS, Keep it Simple Silly!

+Quote Post
krazeedriver
post 9.01.2008 22:04
Post #12

QUOTE(bamapete @ 9.01.2008 12:51) *
Hi krazeedriver. Are you sure you aren't looking at the "Computer Protection Status" window? To the right it will say "running," with a count of files scanned of several thousand most likely, and to the left of that it will say "Scanned:" If this is what you are referring too then your computer and KIS are working as they should be. This is not a regular scan of the hard drive but the real time scanning that KIS always does. If you are talking about a regular scan of My Computer and it's taking as long as you say, then a definite prob, but first things first.

That was it. I was looking at the Protection Status window. Does that need to run through all the files fully? I didn't want to shut down my computer because I thought it wasn't finished. I will go ahead and do the full system scan now, too.

Since you seem to know all the answers, I have another one for you- totally off this topic, though. My home network is not working since I installed KIS 7.0. I can see the folders fine but can't access shared folders nor can I share my printer wirelessly now. And, I really NEED to print off my laptop. Any ideas? I read some posts that said to uncheck the NDIS filter in my network connection and I did so on my laptop (with the newly installed 7.0) and still have 6.0 on my desktop, but no sharing happening? Any help would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks!!!

+Quote Post
bamapete
post 10.01.2008 00:59
Post #13

Advanced Member III

QUOTE(krazeedriver @ 9.01.2008 21:04) *
Since you seem to know all the answers

eheheh. I like the perception, but Don and MAP and Lucian know the truth b_lol1.gif

I just happened to guess what your prob might be from previous postings since I joined here, glad that's all it was. Does that need to scan through all the files? No, it's just the real time scan that constantly scans files as they are accessed and/or downloaded. Right, you need to do a full system scan (My Computer) the first time you load KIS and then every week or month. Sorry I can't help with your networking question, and if you don't get some help from more experienced users shortly then I suggest you post a brand new topic on the subject and you're sure to get some good quality help. good luck.

--------------------

+Quote Post
krazeedriver
post 10.01.2008 01:15
Post #14

Thanks, again. I will post a new question about networking.

QUOTE(bamapete @ 9.01.2008 15:59) *
eheheh. I like the perception, but Don and MAP and Lucian know the truth b_lol1.gif

I just happened to guess what your prob might be from previous postings since I joined here, glad that's all it was. Does that need to scan through all the files? No, it's just the real time scan that constantly scans files as they are accessed and/or downloaded. Right, you need to do a full system scan (My Computer) the first time you load KIS and then every week or month. Sorry I can't help with your networking question, and if you don't get some help from more experienced users shortly then I suggest you post a brand new topic on the subject and you're sure to get some good quality help. good luck.

+Quote Post
shieber
post 10.01.2008 15:58
Post #15

Advanced Member II

Did you use default settings for everything? There's a setting to not scan files over 8 MB. If that's not checked, it can make a whopping dif.

This post has been edited by shieber: 10.01.2008 15:59

+Quote Post
Lord Merlin
post 10.01.2008 16:08
Post #16

QUOTE(shieber @ 10.01.2008 21:58) *
Did you use default settings for everything? There's a setting to not scan files over 8 MB. If that's not checked, it can make a whopping dif.

Check post #12 shieber rolleyes.gif

Also, why would you want to skip files 8mb or smaller? (IE: you said it'll make a whopping diff as in slower if it's checked?) are you serious? Makes very little difference on my machine, and at least i know all files are being scanned...

--------------------

+Quote Post
shieber
post 10.01.2008 16:18
Post #17

Advanced Member II

It's the other way around, i.e., skipping files over 8MB, not under and the reason is simply that it takes a long time to scan them. Most PC security programs exclude or have an option to exclude very large files -- in Zone Alarm, e.g., I think it's 10MB. Usually the default is to skip so the software maker can extol the scan speeds of it's product but the more pessimistic among us can set the prog to not skip files over the size threshhold. Whether or not those larger files are scanned makes the diff of however long it takes to scan all the bytes of those files. If you have ichecker and iswift turned on, then it would (mostly?) matter only on the first scan, which is what I thought this thread was about.

QUOTE(Lord Merlin @ 10.01.2008 07:08) *
Check post #12 shieber rolleyes.gif

Also, why would you want to skip files 8mb or smaller? (IE: you said it'll make a whopping diff as in slower if it's checked?) are you serious? Makes very little difference on my machine, and at least i know all files are being scanned...

+Quote Post
Berny
post 10.01.2008 17:12
Post #18

Forum Elite

Group: Moderators

QUOTE(Don Pelotas @ 7.12.2007 15:17) *
Like the others have said already, thats way to long.

What happens if you uncheck "Conceed resources to other applications" found in the first window that opens when you press settings? (Do a reboot first after the change)

Regular full scan (standard settings) with Intel Quad 2,40 Ghz : 60 GB in aprox 60 minutes. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
chris-j
post 10.01.2008 21:52
Post #19

My computer is fully scanned in about 2 hours. From 2 hours to two days there is a big difference. There must be something that make it slow.

+Quote Post
chris-j
post 10.01.2008 21:59
Post #20

The maximum was about 6 hours, when I had some big archives with many files inside (I noticed that they were the slowest)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31.07.2014 17:30