IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kav 6.0 update stuck, Cannot get an updates after install
member1344
post 10.04.2007 01:48
Post #1

Group: Members

I have updated to Kav 6.0 from 5.0, because my license has expired. And now there is an issue with downloading signature update. It is just hanging on 3% and uses 100% CPU "creating download list". It is probably because of firewalls, but it has worked in 5.0 without problem. I have searched on kav site and around and have not found anything similar. Also I have upgraded from .614 to .621 and it didn't help either. It stays in such state 30 minutes and no progress. Any ideas? I use Windows XP SP 2 and all patches. I have Kerio 4.x firewall and DLink router. BTW, internet works fine and I can access the Kaspersky site without problems.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CartmanEck
post 10.04.2007 02:34
Post #2

Professional I

Does work when you deactivate the Kerio Firewall?

--------------------
Un saludo!

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz, MSI 945P NEO-F, 1024 MB DDR Ram, ATI X850XT-PE, HDD 250 GB, Audigy 2 ZS, Windows XP SP2, KIS 7.0.0.125

+Quote Post
BarryW
post 10.04.2007 04:50
Post #3

QUOTE(CartmanEck @ 9.04.2007 18:34)

I am having the same issue on my laptop. I tried turning firewall off and on, have de-installed and re-installed 6.0.2.614, checked the parameters against my desktop (which does update successfully) , etc.

I'm now sitting at 2% - Update, old signatures and messages telling me to update as I'm woefully at risk.

Any suggestions?

This post has been edited by BarryW: 10.04.2007 04:50

+Quote Post
member1344
post 10.04.2007 04:59
Post #4

QUOTE(CartmanEck @ 10.04.2007 01:34)

No, it does not. I have deactivated it and then even stopped it. I don't know, whether it is related, but I also have Tree Walker installed. BTW, it is avp.exe that takes 100% CPU and it also does not stop by pressing [] at top right corner. I reboot PC to make it stop.

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 10.04.2007 08:45
Post #5

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

The only way to find out is to completely uninstall Kerio, some simply cannot get it to work with Kaspersky 6.0 others can with a bit of work. What Is Tree Walker?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Piston Ron
post 10.04.2007 14:20
Post #6

Kaspersky Fan I

QUOTE(Don Pelotas @ 10.04.2007 00:45)
What Is Tree Walker?

Perhaps?

http://ntcanuck.com/

Ron smile.gif

+Quote Post
p2u
post 10.04.2007 14:23
Post #7

Group: Gold beta testers

Off-topic:
Hi, Ron! Long Time No See! smile.gif

Paul

--------------------
Adblock Plus content blocking filter: * (= show text only anywhere)
Exception rule for all: @@*$stylesheet (= show style sheet only anywhere)
Default exception rule for white-listed sites: domain name/$background,image (= images only from that domain only; no scripts, objects, or other elements)

+Quote Post
Piston Ron
post 10.04.2007 14:45
Post #8

Kaspersky Fan I

QUOTE(p2u @ 10.04.2007 06:23)
Off-topic:
Hi, Ron! Long Time No See! smile.gif

Still Off Topic ...

Yeah, Paul. Been busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest. LOL. I have been reading all KL Forum posts, though.

The beginning of baseball season is always hectic for me, and this year the ISP that had been hosting my web site was sold to another outfit. I gave the clowns a whole month to figure out how to get .htaccess re-configured for the new server. I mean, how hard is it? I finally gave up, and switched hosts. I actually saved some money, and ended up with a lot more features. I should have done it years ago.

I finally got KIS 6.0.2.621 installed. Seems to be OK so far.

BTW, last Tuesday (3 April), I installed the ANI vulnerability hotfix.

MS07-017: Vulnerability in GDI could allow remote code execution

It b0rked a bunch of stuff on my WinXP box, including and especially my fax service. I uninstalled the hotfix Friday, and then re-installed it on Sunday (Easter Sunday). Microsoft has evidently fixed the hotfix since the original version was released. If there is no update for this hotfix today (April's Patch Tuesday), I suggest that everyone who installed KB925902 last week should uninstall it and then re-install it to get the latest version.

I will send you a PM in the next few days, Paul. I have some questions about networking.

Ron smile.gif

+Quote Post
Piston Ron
post 10.04.2007 14:56
Post #9

Kaspersky Fan I

QUOTE(Don Pelotas @ 10.04.2007 00:45)
The only way to find out is to completely uninstall Kerio, some simply cannot get it to work with Kaspersky 6.0 others can with a bit of work.

And now, back On Topic.

To member1344, both Paul and I have experience using the Kerio 4.n PFW with KAV 6, including AVS. If you want to work through your setup, Paul and I would be happy to help you.

I always suggest that those having problems using a third-party PFW with KAV 6, start by uninstalling all security apps and then ensuring that KAV 6 works properly with only the WinXP FW enabled. Then you can install the Kerio PFW and go from there.

Ron smile.gif

+Quote Post
p2u
post 10.04.2007 16:17
Post #10

Group: Gold beta testers

QUOTE(Piston Ron @ 10.04.2007 14:45)
Still Off Topic ...

Yeah, Paul. Been busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest.

Yeah, I can imagine what that looks like... biggrin.gif
QUOTE(Piston Ron @ 10.04.2007 14:45)
I will send you a PM in the next few days, Paul. I have some questions about networking.

I'll be looking forward to reading your message [and hopefully give you the answers you need]...

Paul

--------------------
Adblock Plus content blocking filter: * (= show text only anywhere)
Exception rule for all: @@*$stylesheet (= show style sheet only anywhere)
Default exception rule for white-listed sites: domain name/$background,image (= images only from that domain only; no scripts, objects, or other elements)

+Quote Post
member1344
post 10.04.2007 16:32
Post #11

QUOTE(Piston Ron @ 10.04.2007 13:56)
And now, back On Topic.

I always suggest that those having problems using a third-party PFW with KAV 6, start by uninstalling all security apps and then ensuring that KAV 6 works properly with only the WinXP FW enabled. Then you can install the Kerio PFW and go from there.

Ron smile.gif

I would rather change rules/settings in Kav or Kerio than start uninstalling security apps. As far as see, it was working fine with Kav 5.0, but not Kav 6.0. If I upgraded to latest version of Kerio and it stopped working, I would concentrate on Kerio, not other apps.

+Quote Post
joeyjoejoe
post 10.04.2007 17:33
Post #12

I'm having the same problems on my system. I have avp.exe running at 99% CPU and the updater either gets stuck or only downloads small portions at a time. I had AV version 6.0, but decided to pick up IS for the added protection. Now it's killing my system and being a huge pain in my a$$. It also made me kill my AVG anti-virus and shut down Windows firewall, so I feel a little vulnerable as it attempts to update. It does allow me to continue to run my Tenebril Spyware Catcher though. Any thoughts on what could be causing this similar problem??? Thanks.

+Quote Post
member1344
post 10.04.2007 18:34
Post #13

QUOTE(joeyjoejoe @ 10.04.2007 16:33)
It also made me kill my AVG anti-virus and shut down Windows firewall, so I feel a little vulnerable as it attempts to update.  It does allow me to continue to run my Tenebril Spyware Catcher though.  Any thoughts on what could be causing this similar problem???  Thanks.

Do you have Kerio Firewall (ver 4.1.2 or similar) installed? BTW, it can be just on server side of kaspersky, not a client.

+Quote Post
joeyjoejoe
post 10.04.2007 20:12
Post #14

QUOTE(member1344 @ 10.04.2007 08:34)
Do you have Kerio Firewall (ver 4.1.2 or similar) installed? BTW, it can be just on server side of kaspersky, not a client.

No, I think the problem may be that I not only didn't use the recommended way of removing AV 6.0, but didn't remove my AVG software before installing. I'll try to cleanly remove anything still remaining from AV 6.0 and then not check the "run active protection before installing" box when installing. That seems to have caused a few problems. I'll attempt everything over the lunch hour and report back. Thanks.

+Quote Post
member1344
post 11.04.2007 04:57
Post #15

I made it to work smile.gif I have disabled Kerio service and it did not help. But when I have changed update setting as following:

Run mode Manually
FTP passive mode Yes
Connection timeout 60 sec
Use proxy server No
Update application modules Yes
Rescan Quarantine No
Run this task as Administrator

and also I defined region as United States, it has started to work. I think, the thing that made it to work, it is run task as Administrator. Before that it started as SYSTEM. I will check later, whether Administrator is only required or proxy also needed. Only I don't like, that I need to enter password for Administrator. Hopefully the pasword is encrypted and the updater will be fixed in one of next patches for Kav 6. BTW, it works also when Kerio is service started, but it takes 6 minutes to update. I am not sure, whether it is the server issue or it is related to Kerio.

+Quote Post
joeyjoejoe
post 11.04.2007 23:31
Post #16

I got mine to work too, but it didn't have to do with a firewall problem. What I had to do was completely remove all other antivirus and spyware programs. It looks like the main cause of my issues was Tenebril's SpyCatcher software. Once I removed that, ran the KISremove.zip file, and reinstalled, everything is running very smoothly. I somehow am using both the Hacker firewall program and the Windows firewall though. Is that possible or am I doing something wrong? Is there a benefit to having both rather than just one? I would assume two is better than one, but if they are conflicting somehow without my knowledge, that would be a problem. Thanks.

+Quote Post
BarryW
post 15.04.2007 01:13
Post #17

I'm happy that joeyjoejoe and member1344 have theirs working, but I'm still stuck with the same issue.

Originally, my laptop would update. Now it does not. I have turned an issue over to tech support and so far they've instructed me to de-install and re-install, once with add/remove. once with their utilily in safe mode. I won't go into my feelings about tech support here and the lapse of three days to get this advice twice, but at this point I'm about the chuck the whole thing and install something else. I have done the following:

1. Installed and re-installed twice using their utility in safe mode which tech support would have known if they had read my submission.
2. I have turned my firewall off and on to see if that makes a difference. I am just using Windows firewall at this point.
3. Checked to make sure my settings are identical to my desktop, which does have this product installed and is working fine - it's the only reason I bought the product outright instead of trialing it for my laptop.

Can anyone assist? I'd really appreciate it - I hate to waste money on on software that isn't working.

+Quote Post
member1344
post 15.04.2007 07:59
Post #18

QUOTE(BarryW @ 15.04.2007 00:13)
Can anyone assist?  I'd really appreciate it - I hate to waste money on on software that isn't working.

Have you tried to disable the firewall, set the updater to run under Administrator account and with the same settings as I did ? Do you use build .621? I don't have any problems with it now. Even with Kerio Firewall on it updates within a minute. Also you should put mode to automatic after that. It seems, it works the best way. The only thing that I concern a bit about that a full scan takes longer than in Kav 5.0, but you can pause and resume after next PC start, so it is not a big deal.

This post has been edited by member1344: 15.04.2007 08:00

+Quote Post
BarryW
post 15.04.2007 08:19
Post #19

QUOTE(member1344 @ 14.04.2007 23:59)
Have you tried to disable the firewall, set the updater to run under Administrator account and with the same settings as I did ? Do you use build .621? I don't have any problems with it now. Even with Kerio Firewall on it updates within a minute. Also you should put mode to automatic after that. It seems, it works the best way. The only thing that I concern  a bit about that a full scan takes longer than in Kav 5.0, but you can pause and resume after next PC start, so it is not a big deal.

Thanks for responding. I have done all of those items. I have administrator rights, using 621, etc.

Actually, I've now de-installed and requested a refund and installed another product. I don't have the time or patience to work with a product supported by email only on a one to two day cycle per question.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22.12.2014 12:28